Services provided by the Federation Committees
All Federation Committees provide services across Fairfax County to identify critical countywide issues, review proposals by the Board of Supervisors and pending General Assembly legislation, recommend and draft resolutions for a Federation position on County and Commonwealth programs, and recommend positions concerning the annual County Executive's budget.
Specific Committee services include:
- The Budget Committee reviews and analyzes the Fairfax County Executive's proposed budget and proposed new programs by line-item expenditures and revenue sources.
- The Citizen Association Services Committee provides guidance to Citizen, Condo, and Home-Owner Associations on By-Laws, the State Corporation Commission, annual filings by neighborhood associations, and enforcement of neighborhood covenants and proffers.
- The Education Committee monitors the performance, activities, and actions of the elected Fairfax County School Board members, reviews proposals to establish, expand, or reduce educational programs, and proposes Federation positions on the annual Fairfax County Public School System budget.
- The Environment Committee monitors and reviews activities from the Environmental Protection Agency, other related Federal agencies, proposals to establish, expand, or reduce environmental programs before Congress or the General Assembly, and environment-impacting proposals before appointed regional or local bodies.
- The Human Services Committee monitors activities of the Fairfax County Human Services Council and relevant agencies and reviews proposals to establish, expand, or reduce human services programs.
- The Land Use Committee monitors the activities of the Board of Zoning Appeals and the County Planning Commission and reviews proposals to modify land use ordinances.
- The Legislation Committee prepares a "Legislative Recommendations" of issues to be considered by the next General Assembly, monitors relevant legislation introduced in each General Assembly session, and drafts appropriate Issues letters for the Federation President to send to the Governor and to Senators and Assembly Members of the Fairfax County delegation.
- The Public Safety Committee monitors proposals before the Board of Supervisors or its committees to establish, expand, or reduce programs of the police and fire departments and proposals to expand or alter the physical facilities of those departments.
- The Transportation Committee monitors proposals of the Federal Highway Administration, Federal Railroad Administration, the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, and the Fairfax County Department of Transportation concerning road construction and modifications and reviews all proposals to establish or expand roadways, busing, rail, and air transportation options